Sunday 21 September 2014

Bye, bye summer....I'll miss you

Photo: Scenes from the Kingdom.... Sept. 21/2014

Today we celebrated my Dad's 81st birthday.  It is so hard to believe that a year has gone by since we held his 80th celebration.  And, to top it off, it is the last day of summer....officially.  And what a summer it has been!

Having Parkinson's daily is difficult at best, and horrendous at worst.   But as I take in the larger picture.....for eg., the whole summer....I can also add that Parkinson's still allows me, at this point in time, the luxury of enjoying my life as much as possible.  This past summer proves to me that I can still have a full life.

The summer began with a Family Reunion that was 35 years in the making.  I come from a large dutch family, where my father was one of 11 children.  In earlier times we would have a yearly get-together.  But as time goes by, the 11 multiplied to 22, and then would multiply to 48, and on, and on...and on.  At some point, it became too difficult to connect.  So, I took it into my own hands to set a goal that I would bring back the Family Reunion while I was able.  I began with a Family Facebook site, connected with at least one cousin per family, and encouraged the sharing of memories through posting old pictures, and retelling stories of bygone days.  What a perfect hook!  This allowed me to set a date, make arrangements at a park, and prepare the Family Reunion that had been lost over 35 years.  My goal was to have 100 in attendance.....there were 65, and once over, and the event shared, it was such a success that 100 will be no problem to reach  next year..

In hindsight, what was I thinking?!?!  What a daunting task for a healthy individual, let alone one living with PD.  But it came, it went (perfectly at that!), and what a huge success it was....and I lived through it ....and I survived!  There are still many possibilities available to me at this point in my illness, that if I truly want to achieve....I will.  Looking back, other than being exhausted for the week or two following, I did it!

The next thing I needed to get through was my son's wedding.

I have two sons, age 22 and 24.  My oldest son became engaged, purchased his new home, and then wed, all within this past summer.  Typical of a mother, I carried the worries of my child.  Will he be able to afford a house, will he find a house, and how on earth will he get everything done in time for the wedding?!?  And of course, stress heightens PD symptoms.  So, I had to let go, step back, and know that my mother in heaven, would take on the challenge as she always had, and things would all come together with her help..  And so....on the third weekend in August, my son was married, and held the reception in his new back yard.  It was a beautiful day, my other son and his girlfriend were in the wedding, my dad and I attended along side my ex-inlaws and ex-husband, and everyone actually had a wonderful time.  Parkinson's again, did not keep me from one of the most important events in my life.

I did it.  I made it.  I survived it.  The summer of 2014.  Sure my Parkinson's has progressed, but it has not yet swallowed me alive.  Did I mention that I turned 50 this summer as well?!?  So, being 50, and living with PD, has definitely slowed me down, but as sure as the leaves are falling, and winter is on the door step, the warm sunny weather will be back....and I will have to attack the Second Annual Re-reunion yet again.  I did it...I can do it....I will do it.  It is only 9 months away!

No comments:

Post a Comment