Saturday 17 May 2014

Shaken, Not Stirred (trailer)




                                                           May 17/2014

In the lonely world of Young Onset Parkinson's, you are driven to find out as much as you can about the disease.  You want to reach out to people who completely understand what you are going through day to day...symptom to symptom.  And who better than another Parkie?!?!  But where are they???? 

When I was first diagnosed I looked frantically online for support.  And by some blessed chance, happened upon the site, Patients Like Me.  It not only offered me updated information, research, charts to complete, statistics and clinical trials, it welcomed me to an incredible group of Parkies in their Parkinson Disease Forum.  These people are scattered throughout the U.S, Canada, Europe, and Australia, but all come to this one meeting room, online, to support , enquire, understand, and befriend the only other people that fully understand the daily struggles a Parkie faces.

Now, horror stories of online chats and forums run rampid.  So, I was very skeptical about putting myself, "out there", or so to say.  But within days, the support and understanding was tremendous.  Who better to ask about the affects you are experienceing, than someone else who has also experienced it. I have clung to them for support, friendship, advice and piece of mind for a little over a year now.

I am branching out now.  I recently joined a group for Young Onset Parkinson's.  Hence, the video above.  Logging in for the very first time, I spotted this video, and was captivated.  I laughed.  I laughed, and laughed some more.  What a unique perspective, humbling, but also motivating.  It wasn't long before the star and producer of the video,  Alexander Tressor, came on and chatted amongst us. 

To speak of these online people as friends, is not that great a stretch.  Amongst our own, we can whine, complain, and someone will listen.  They will say, "Yeah, that happens to me....here's what I do....".  And often, like a good friend, will give you the advise you don't want to hear. 

I know in my mind, and I have been told by my doctor, to walk, exercise...blah ...blah blah..blaaaa....is what I hear.  Then a new perspective,  like that of Alexander Tressor, makes me laugh but also shows me reality...what I don't want to hear....exercise. 

So, as I conclude this entry to my blog, I will grab my walking stick, (ok....it's a cane, alright!!)  and make my somewhat daily...soon to be daily....walk.  Yuck!  So when people ask me where I get my inspiration to carry on...and I respond, "on line", you will know what I mean.  I have a whole new Parkie family out there who inspire me every day.  And hey....they are available 24/7....how great is that?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment